The next Club Meeting will be held on June 28th at 7:00pm at the field.
*** The May FARM club newsletter is now on-line! ***
- This is an advance notice of the upcoming FARM Charity Float Fly for June 25, 2022.
- The following pictures are of Dave Rothbart, Nic Burhans, and Don Szczur working with students from Thomas Jefferson High School in the final stages of their contest project's construction/assembly and first flight by Don S. on Saturday, 16 April 2022. For more complete info on the club, and it's activities, checkout this additional info.
- The new FARM Mowing Schedule for 2022 is now available.
- Well, it's that time of year, again! The FARM 'Mowing Crew' is preparing our mowers and equipment for the onslaught of the 2022 grass growing season. Gene, Ernie, Paul, Nic, and Charlie in picture. Missing from photo are Ralph and Dave.
- The new FARM 2022 Calendar is now available.
- The new FARM board for 2022 is available on the CONTACTS page.
- Farm Club/NVRC member Don Szczur successfully netted the coveted most sought after gift at the NVRC Christmas gift scramble. His wife Beth flew off with the flying adult beverage wing. Cheers to the Szczur's.
Despite the havoc COVID-19 played with our lives and flying activities this year, FARM Club was able to complete five of the six Fun Day-Fun Fly events scheduled.
Below are the final placements, point totals accumulated, and number of times each individual flew in the Fun Fly portion:
Place Name Points Times Flown 1. Vince Tabacco 79 5 2. Dave Rothbart 70.5 5 3. Ernie Padgette 64 4 4. Ken Bassett 53 4 5. Nic Burhans 41 4 6. Doug Cash 33 3 7. Ralph Graul 26 2 8. Charlie Koustenis 23.5 2 9. Les Broaddus 18 2 10. Kwang Ko 14 1 11. Don Manson 10 1 12. Gene Flynn 9 watched 3 times 13.5. Bill Noel 6 watched 2 times 13.5. Dick Sutton 6 watched 2 times 15.25. John Gilbert 3 watched once 15.25. Lloyd Hinrichs 3 watched once 15.25. Kirby Nelson 3 watched once 15.25. Randy Tavishati 3 watched onceThank you all for participating in this year's Fun Day-Fun Fly events.
- With the short notice cancellation of the Joint CMB-FARM Christmas Party due to a fire closing the Outback restaurant, we entered an annual awards presentation time warp/backlog. Yep, we were possibly forced into not awarding the Charlie Koustenis FARM Crash Remembrance Award for 2021.
Charlie noted to President Dave that this was an intolerable situation that was going to force the FARM membership into trying to remember who had the most exasperating/laughable crash[s] during our 2021 flying season!
Having been chided by Charlie, Dave sprang into action and found that the FARM Crash Remembrance Award was lurking in a dark spot at Bill Towne's house [the last official recipient] along with it's associated field Crash Repair box. It was arranged that Nic would pick up the two FARM Crash Remembrance Award items from Bill in yesterday's early morning hours to minimize visibility by Bill's neighbors [it was left outside on the front stoop to minimize facial recognition].
Upon inventory of the crash repair box, it was noted that the supply of the revival miniature scotch bottles still had not been replenished by the multiple earlier recipients. Dave has taken this on for quality control [testing?] action.
Having put our hands on the illustrious, and cherished, FARM Crash Remembrance Award, we now had to trap the 2021 recipient at an appropriate public location for the award presentation. Yesterday was that day at the FARM field. All we had to do was wait for the recipient to unsuspectingly show up. Around 1100 hours the FARM Crash Remembrance Award was presented for 2021 to the outstandingly deserving Paul LoChirco; after President Dave recounted Paul's regular crashes, multiple tree crashes [at FARM and NVRC fields – Paul always wants to make sure everyone has a good time], and his spectacular engine stop in mid air; low level hover crash.
To make sure that the 2021 achievement award to Paul was not forgotten, Dave and Charlie [a 2 time recipient] made sure that Paul publically signed the prized FARM trophy.
Paul noted that he will keep the FARM Crash Remembrance Award in an appropriate spot at/in/around his house, monitor 2022 FARM crash operations, and be ready to appropriately pass on the award to the new FARM Crash King for 2022 at the proper moment.
Congratulations to Paul!.
- The FARM club Application and Renewal forms for 2022 are now avvailable.
- Below is an updated picture of John Hutton's latest project: a Carl Goldberg Valkyrie. John has written an article (with construction pictures) on the history of the plane including details regarding its construction.
- For immediate release, notice to Piedmont area UAS pilots.
Reference : 38 deg., 27 min., 33 sec. north latitude; 77 deg., 53 min. 33 sec., west longitude as of 16 hours, 7 minutes Zulu, April 18th 2021.
Please note as a model of determination and persistence that at the place sited and the time indicated, John Gilbert having flown numerous unassisted buddy box flights, did successfully complete, pass and otherwise accomplish his solo check flight on the pictured SIG Kadet. His instructor for this check flight notes his maneuvers and two take-offs and landings were uneventful. Well done, John! Q.E.D.
P.S. there were several witnesses (Photo courtesy of Gordon Collyer).
- Well, it's that time of year, again! The FARM crew consisted of the 'eight amigos'(plus Dave). Thanks to all for participating in the 2021 field day at Farm Club. You resurrected all three club mowers. An amazing job of team work, determination and grit was demonstrated to overcome a number of equipment issues. The field was rolled for the first time this year using the new club roller. Also, the brush in front of the pond ( at the insistence of Charlie K.) was collected and moved to the Rhynalds trash pile. (Photo courtesy of Don Manson).
- Below is a picture of John Hutton's latest project: a Carl Goldberg Valkyrie. John has written an article (with construction pictures) on the history of the plane including details regarding its construction.
- See you at the field...